|The mission of the American Legion Riders and Melvin Roads Post 1231 is to support, honor, and respect the men and women of America's
Armed Forces and their families, honor the memory of those killed in action, and assure that no veteran is forgotten.
The ALR provides a social atmosphere in which the American Legion family of members can share an interest in riding, promote motorcycle
safety, provide enjoyment through programs and activities that are in keeping with the mission of the American Legion, motorcycle safety,
and support the programs, events, charities, parades, and other ceremonies of the American Legion.
Since 2006, riders nationwide have participated in the Legion's Legacy Run
to annually raise money for the Legacy Scholarship Fund, established to
provide scholarships to children of U.S. military personnel killed since Sept. 11, 2001. Donations for this single event in 2010, exceeded $600,000.
True to the Legion's grassroots tradition, each chapter manages its programs at the post level, where the best ideas are born. The Riders are
part of many projects and events, including:
- Rolling Thunder, the annual POW/MIA rally in Washington on
Memorial Day weekend.
- Annual regional rides such as Operation Wounded Warrior, sponsore
by Riders in Nevada, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, California and other Western states.
- Local charity events in support of The American Legion and local communities.
- Raising money for VA hospitals, women and children centers, children and youth centers, schools and other facilities.
- Sponsoring or participating in motorcycle runs to benefit numerous charities.
- Local memorial ceremonies and community parades.
- The American Legion Legacy Run, an annual cross-country fundraising
ride from National Headquarters in Indianapolis to the national convention city.
- Riding to honor fallen military men and women, and to protect the sanctity of their funerals from those who would dishonor their memory.
- Escorting military units to departure airfields and airports for combat tours overseas, and welcoming them home upon their return.